Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Soul Music


So, my pursuit of getting through 'The Dead' is not going so well. Actually, every time I pick it up I find myself putting it down to find something more stimulating. When I did the same thing this afternoon, I began to ask myself a question:
What IS it I do find diamonds in? When are the moments in my life when I find those small (or large) diamonds? Where do moments of epiphany lie for me, most often?
The answer to that question is simple; in music. Music has constantly been a source of awe and inspiration for me; I got to music when I feel sad, happy, angry, hopeful... there really isn't an emotion I can't heighten, intensify, or downplay with the right music. I'm something of a music junkie, which is my dad's fault.

Ever since I was a small girl, I have been listening to the sounds of James Taylor, The Beatles, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Harry Connick, Jr., all the classic rock greats, and even The Beach Boys. These artists remain among some of my favorites because memories always come flooding back for me when I hear their music. My dad used to be a singer, but suffered from terrible stage fright. He has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard live, and I used to be able to catch him singing when he didn't think I was around. I would hide at the top of the staircase and listen to him singing along to the 'Singers and Standards' station. He instilled a love of music in me that no one can ever take away.

There is one particular night I will never forget, involving music and my dad. Every night before I went to sleep, I used to put on the Donny Hathaway version of 'A Song For You' before I went to bed. It made me very calm before I went to sleep and helped me rest peacefully through the night (on most occasions). One night just when I'd started the song, my dad walked in and was surprised I was even listening to the tune. It was originally sung by Leon Russell, and my dad admitted it was lyrically one of his favorite songs. He started singing along with the music coming from the stereo, and it put me in a trance! I felt tears come to my eyes and I just sat there staring at him and crying and feeling very lucky to have my family. It was one of the most epiphanical moments of my life, though I can't even explain the epiphany that had come to me. It was something I shared with my dad, just me and him, and I will never forget it. Here are the lyrics to that song:

I've been so many places in my life and time
I've sung a lot of songs I've made some bad rhyme
I've acted out my love in stages
With ten thousand people watching
But we're alone now and I'm singing this song for you

I know your image of me is what I hope to be
I've treated you unkindly but darlin' can't you see
There's no one more important to me
Darlin' can't you please see through me
Cause we're alone now and I'm singing this song for you

You taught me precious secrets of the truth witholding nothing
You came out in front and I was hiding
But now I'm so much better and if my words don't come together
Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding

I love you in a place where there's no space or time
I love you for in my life you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over
Remember when we were together
We were alone and I was singing this song for you

You taught me precious secrets of the truth witholding nothing
You came out in front and I was hiding
But now I'm so much better and if my words don't come together
Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding

I love you in a place where there's no space or time
I love you for in my life you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over
Remember when we were together
We were alone and I was singing this song for you
We were alone and I was singing this song for you

These days, I feel most uplifted when I'm listening to soul music, from old soul to the newer artists in the neo-soul category. Artists like Maxwell, John Legend, Jill Scott, Amel Larrieux, Anthony Hamilton, and many others give me peace every single day, and I think there is something to be said for being able to have those little moments every day. Life is never easy and peace is sometimes hard to find, but in music I can always find some sort of serenity. It gets me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment