Friday, January 22, 2010

Fruition, Fulfillment, Security, Affection, A Good Dinner...


Let me just say, I agree very much with Abby about 'FOOD' epiphanies. She explained in class about how a meal literally changed the way she felt about what she wanted in her future, and I feel the very same way! I have an Italian father who absolutely lives for good food and great wine, and one of my absolute favorite pasttimes is going to eat with dad... to see him get excited about food reminds me of growing up and makes me happy. Over the holidays, my parents collaborated and put together three evenings with a very specific menu and beer and wine to boot. The food was utterly some of the best food I have ever had and our relationship to food and wine and having a good dinner with friends has always bonded all of us. I know in my life I simply have to have those things; good food, good wine,and people to share that experience with. Is there anything in the world more important than that? I don't think so.

Today Dr. Sexson said that when you're trying to talk about the best things, words fail you, and I couldn't stop thinking about it after class. Why IS it that words fail you just when you need them the most? Hmm... obnoxious! I have been talking to other people about these subjects and my friend Melissa said this:
'When you're talking and you can't think of words or the right words or the words you're looking for it's likely because your brain is overactive (or underactive) and can't focus in on one idea'...I had to laugh because that's just so very mathematical of her.
Also this:
'An epiphany may (in theory) occur when your brain "stops" and takes a breath and realizes an idea that you have been scratching the surface of but haven't been able to "focus" on'
I find it very interesting to talk to non-English majors about their ideas of the word 'epiphany' and if they have had any experience with it. They often times seem confused as to why we would obsess about what an 'epiphany' is. There is a definition for it in the dictionary and that's what it is and why would we give it another moment's thought? Makes me laugh!
I was thinking today about the possibility of explaining an epiphany to someone who hasn't expierence it and it reminded me of this T.S Eliot quote:

'It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind.'

Is this the same for the idea of epiphany? When we feel like we have had a profound experience and are at a 'loss for words', is it really worth explaining to someone else if they have never experienced it? Would they understand? And if they did understand, would they draw the same feeling from it that you have? All things to think about, I guess...

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we can find ourselves at a loss for words. When that happens, we can still cook to express ourselves!

    ReplyDelete